Trowbridge Town 2-2 Chippenham Town, Friday, March 23rd, 1951, (Trowbridge Town Football Club Archive)

Trowbridge Town 2 - 2 Chippenham Town

League - Western League Division One
Friday, March 23rd, 1951, 3:00 PM
Attendance: 3,075
Had Trowbridge forwards put a little more "punch" into their shooting they would almost certainly have won both points in their Good Friday home encounter with Chippenham Town, watched by 3,075 spectators. The result was a draw 2-2. The pitch churned up badly, but Trowbridge, who are becoming accustomed to such conditions, contrived to pass the ball to their own considerable advantage, and Bates had to be very vigilant. It was interesting to see "Ginger" Harris playing his old tricks against his former club colleagues, while Jim Paviour faced what were his own team mates in the corresponding fixture last season, when Chippenham won by the only goal.
Abrahams, provided with an early scoring opportunity, attempted to flick the ball past Bates, but the ex-Southampton goalkeeper was not to be deceived. Only ten minutes had passed when Hancock, deputising for Grimason, passed to Haddon, who turn transferred to Abrahams. The inside-left squared the ball beautifully to Dagg, who after a second attempt, crashed the ball with his left foot into the net well wide of Bates to give Trowbridge the lead. Titcombe (right-back) was lying injured when the goal was scored. Dagg netted again, but was ruled offside, and Bates saved splendidly from Hancock at the expense of a corner. Dagg's energy kept the Chippenham defenders busy, especially when the ball was in the air. There were loud appeals for goal when Bates appeared to hook out a tricky lob from Abrahams, when the ball had appeared to be under the crossbar. Then Harris raced through to place the ball past Vince, but he was offside. Five minutes from half-time, however. Tuck and Vince were in complete misunderstanding and Vince, in a desperate effort to rob Harris, fell to the ground, lost possession, and Harris, also "floored," swung out his foot and sent the ball rolling slowly into the unguarded net.
There was heavy rain during the second half, and Vince was not too reliable dealing with the greasy ball. Seventeen minutes after the restart Hamilton headed through from a left-wing centre, though belter positioning by Trowbridge might well have prevented this goal. Trowbridge fought back, however, and after 83 minutes play Sutherland, playing left-half, beat Bates with splendid cross shot. There was excitement in both goals after this, and Vince made a very fine save from a terrific shot by Every, but there was no further score. Dawson was a tireless worker the Chippenham side, who missed Tilley and Sim, transferred to Plymouth Argyle.

Report from the Wiltshire Times