Trowbridge Town 2-0 Cheltenham Town Reserves, Saturday, February 24th, 1951, (Trowbridge Town Football Club Archive)

Trowbridge Town 2 - 0 Cheltenham Town Reserves

League - Western League Division One
Saturday, February 24th, 1951, 3:00 PM
Attendance: 1,300
Trowbridge Town were full value for the two points by which they won by score of 2-0 and thereby avenged defeat by a similar score at Cheltenham a fortnight ago. Despite an overwhelming superiority - Vince, in the home goal, only had one really difficult shot to deal with - it looked as though the match would end goalless, for it was not until the 81st minute that Jack Dagg scored the first of Trowbridge's two goals. That Cheltenham's goal remained unbroken for so long was due to some brilliant goalkeeping by Coltman and the tenacious and unhesitant tackling of his colleagues, of whom Biggart (centre half) and Stephens (left back) were outstanding. Despite their great work, however, the visitors' goal had moments of remarkable luck.
It rained most of the match, and the ground already soaked, churned into a morass which left the players' boots almost invisible in the worst parts. Players quickly became "mud-men" and when Coltman retired at the end he was hardly recognisable. He was cheered loudly for a fine display - as was the result of the Bristol Rovers-Newcastle F.A. cup-tie when announced over the loud-speakers. Despite the unfavourable conditions Trowbridge opened on the attack, and Haddon and Abrahams (twice) went very near to scoring in the first ten minutes, the latter being thwarted only by the splendid anticipation of Coltman. Under heavy pressure Cheltenham's defence gave little ground, and Dagg rarely touched the ball.


In the 34th minute Biggart handled in the penalty area, and it looked pound to a penny on Trowbridge taking the lead when their renowned "penalty king" Harry Haddon came into the centre to take the spot kick. It is a long time since he missed converting a penalty, and has seven or eight to his credit this season, but to his own and everyone's dismay, Harry sliced the greasy ball wide of the goalposts! Dagg almost succeeded with a grand header from a corner, and a defender cleared on the goal-line again from Dagg. Just before half-time Cheltenham almost took the lead in a surprise raid, Vince hurling himself across the goal to save a great drive by Winter (right half).
Early in the second half Coltman J saved brilliantly from Webb, who had roamed into the centre, and again, as the ball slithered off the foot of a defender, Coltman was on the spot to snap the ball just as it was going inside the upright. It was all Coltman - while Vince looked on in the rain. Cheltenham's forwards became a little more prominent, but the home defence held them in check. Then eight minutes from time came Dagg's goal. Sutherland sent the ball up field, and Dagg raced between the backs and hit the ball hard and low past Coltman, who almost suffocated himself in the mud in a great effort to save the ball. Two minutes from the end Grimason settled the issue with another goal, the ball going in off an upright. The attendance was 1,300. Congratulations to all the players on their display in such atrocious conditions.

Trowbridge team: Vince: Sutherland, Welch: Bowering, Tuck, Haycock: Haddon, Grimason. Dagg, Abrahams. Webb.
Report from The Wiltshire Times